Today’s new technologies are making it easier than ever to navigate, but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect! Even the best GPS can take you on an unintended detour. We asked our facebook followers for their funniest or bizarrest experiences with a GPS. Here are 5 of our favorites.
- I was headed across a long, narrow, steel bridge. Halfway across my GPS started telling me, "Turn right now. Recalculating. Turn right now. Recalculating." It continued doing this until I finally was all the way across the bridge. Once across, I expected it to tell me to turn right. Instead, I was told to continue straight. - CC
- Used a GPS to find my sister’s condo in florida. It led me to a bridge that wasn't accessible by car -- it was for foot traffic only. When I tried to re-route it, it lead me to a dead end into the Gulf of Mexico! - PJ
- Tried to find a community center by Eau Claire for a wedding reception. The GPS sent us to a country road in the middle of a vineyard. Not where we we looking for the drinks! - WBB
- As I was driving along a restricted-access highway, my GPS kept telling me to turn left, but there were no left exits. Most of the time there were no exits to the right either. - SJW
- I was pulling a 5th wheel trailer heading up north. My GPS took me off the highway and onto a logging road where I got stuck. The GPS said it was a through road. Had to have AAA come and pull my trailer and truck back to high ground. - SH
Sometimes you need to do things the old fashioned way and pull out a map or phone a friend.
Remember: trying to program a GPS while driving is a serious driving hazard, so be sure to pull over or have a passenger do it for you. And it’s a good idea to always keep your phone fully charged when you’re driving -- that way you can call for help if you get lost. Safe travels!